Pages

Friday, April 02, 2010

I don't think I can drive in America again

I hadn't realized it, but I have become very comfortable driving in Phnom Penh traffic. I was recently with a colleague from America and she commented that I calmly drive through the streets, while at the same time being quite aggressive in how I drive. To get anywhere here, one must be aggressive. After her comments I started to realize the things I do while driving that would never be acceptable in America.

In Cambodia, it is not uncommon to drive up the wrong side of the road simply because it is more convenient. I would certainly get a ticket for that in America.

In Cambodia, it is expected that drivers will push their way in to whatever space is available in front of them, regardless of the size of their vehicle or how this might affect the flow of traffic. This would be considered extremely rude in America.

In Cambodia, the proximity of my vehicle to that of others on the road is close enough to touch - this is necessary so someone doesn't do what I mentioned above (squeeze in to whatever space is available in front of them). Yes, this all happens while moving or stopped. This would be considered dangerous in America.

I rather like that lanes are suggestions, stops signs are ignored, that there is nothing wrong with going the wrong way, or cutting through some place like a gas station is perfectly acceptable. I've wanted to do these things before in America, but knew the social conventions wouldn't allow it. Sure, intersections are a little more risky and I still fear the possibility of running over a family of five on a motorbike - but, all in all, I like the steady flow of traffic and the diversity of vehicles that I see around me.

Without my realizing, I have become calmly aggressive while driving in Phnom Penh. I will have a vehicle to drive in Mozambique. I wonder what that will be like? Will my newly acquired driving techniques be unacceptable there?

No comments:

Post a Comment