Pages

Friday, July 02, 2010

Obituary: Ernestina Roybal Rodriguez

The funeral for my great grandma came and went...and I couldn't be there. That doesn't mean I am not grieving. Here is a link to her obituary if you want to read it. Below is an excerpt:

Ernestina recently had a grand celebration on her 100th birthday with 250 in attendance, which provided everyone a chance to greet her personally. Her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great-great grandchildren number 158. Ernestina was a beautiful, hard-working, generous, loving lady that devoted her life to her husband, family, and faith.

I am part of her legacy. Now, if only I could learn to make home-made tortillas like she did! My tia Anita (featured in the picture below) has given me all the tools and instructions I need to accomplish this. I tried twice. They were good, but the work didn't seem worth it at the time when there were decent store-bought varieties. I keep contemplating trying it again now that I am living in a place with a serious lack of tortillas. I must go to South Africa and make a special order in advance if I want some. Deep sigh!


On my last visit we took this photo. It isn't fantastic. I think it was taken with a cell phone. It features me, my mom, my tia Anita and my tia Carmen. Grandma is in the middle. I was hoping to see her again on our upcoming visit and get a picture with this small, but incredibly strong woman. Our plane leaves in seven days to the US. New Mexico is our first stop. I am so sad a stop at Grandma's house to spend some time with her will not be possible.

In case you haven't figured it out already, it is the people who matter most in life...not the abundance of your possessions.

1 comment:

  1. Sheri, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize you had lost your great-grandma. I've been thinking about how strange it will be in a few weeks when we arrive and can't see my Grandma Betty, who died in May. I never thought I'd miss her funeral. I'll pray for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete