Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

food craving: celery

There are lots of foods that I would eat on a regular basis in the States that are not available overseas. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a decent tortilla (never knew how many items I eat require a tortilla until we moved). I miss the variety of cheeses available in the States. I miss a good burger. I seem to be able to make due without these things.

Lately I have had the strangest craving. I am craving celery. I don't even think I ate celery that much in the U.S. Sometimes I'd have it as a snack with peanut butter. Sometimes I'd make potato soup and add celery. If it was there I would cut it up and put it in a tuna salad sandwich.


For weeks now I have been thinking, "I want celery." I don't know why, but I really want to crunch a stalk of celery. What an odd thing to crave?

We do get tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, onions and garlic in Cambodia and Mozambique. Haven't seen a stalk of celery in nearly a year. Really have no idea why I seem to miss it so much.

What do you think you would miss most if your food options were limited?

2 comments:

  1. Andrea BarbourMay 03, 2010 12:26 PM

    I missed iceburg lettuce of all things while I lived in Africa...cabbage I could get and sometimes spinach leaves but not much lettuce. I lived there, in various countries for nearly eight years, so I got used to 'salads' without it, but still :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not grown plenty in India. So, Iam missing it.

    ReplyDelete