Pages

Thursday, April 01, 2010

another cross-continent move - not an April fool's joke

In an unexpected turn of events, Kenyon and I are making another cross-continent move in less than a year. Next week, we are moving to Mozambique, Africa. I can tell you from experience frequent moves of this caliber are NOT recommended. I am in the midst of "fun" transition stuff - trying to wrap-up my current job, sort and pack our belongings (again), try to think of all the things I'd like to know about our new location (again). It doesn't matter how much I do it, saying good-bye is never easy. I have shed many tears about this move, it is the people I will miss most. I have grown close to many of the staff over the years (including my time prior to relocating here). When they ask, "will you come back to visit?" It is very hard to answer that question. I simply say, "I don't know."

It isn't all bad. As is common in life, this is a bittersweet experience (good and bad at the same time). There are many things to look forward to in our move. I like the people that I know in the Mozambique office. I like the scope of work they are doing. The times I have visited before, I found the places very beautiful and the culture very welcoming. The coast is supposed to have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. And, I am quite certain I can learn Portugese (Moz was colonized by Portugal) much easier than Khmer.

Kenyon is looking forward to some things too - he has vowed not to get a haircut until he arrives in Africa. He is already in need of a good cut, but he doesn't care how nappy it is getting, in his opinion no one on the continent of Asia can cut hair as good. I hope there are other things he will find that he likes besides a good barber.

Thanks to those of you who continue to follow us on life's journey - looks like we get to explore a different part of the world soon and discover what it is like to live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment