Pages

Sunday, December 07, 2014

travel essential: be flexibile

I was recently reminded of the importance of flexibility. I am referring to a type of attitude or trait needed for successful international travel experience - especially in the developing world.

In October/November of this year, I had the opportunity to return India - a country that has enchanted me.
Photo of a woman on the street in Yelamanchili
As soon as I exited the plane, my heart felt full to overflowing. My dad, who is often my travel companion, said it was like I was "glowing." It had been six years since I had returned, and I was super happy to be back. I love visiting India. I cherish time with my mentor and "Indian Daddy" who lives there.
My "Indian Daddy" and my adopted dad and frequent travel companion
I love our dear friends in southeast India, and I am honored to be mommy, sister, and friend to hundreds of children who live there. These have held a special place in my heart for a decade.

Some young ladies from Light of Love Children's Home - including Chandini, the girl we tried to adopt.
However, I was quickly reminded of one very important travel essential: flexibility.

Cyclone HudHud hit southern India just two weeks before our scheduled arrival. Though we were told it would not affect our travel plans, I am a seasoned enough traveler to suspect that we were embarking on a bit more of an adventure than originally intended. My suspicions were accurate.
Sign at Visakhapatnam (Visag) International Airport
Our international flights from into India were cancelled as a result of storm damage to the airport. We were unaware of a change in our travel plans until we tried to board the flight from Dubai to India. We weren't stranded, but it did take some effort and patience to figure out that our flight itinerary had been rerouted to an in-country destination first, in order to reach our final destination in Visag as domestic passengers.

When we arrived in Hyderbad, our transit location, there were airline staff waiting to guide us through customs, the ticketing process, security, and to the awaiting plane. The plane that took us from Hyderbad to Visag was full and had been waiting for nearly an hour - for us. I was happy that scheduled departures are flexible, rather than rigid, because it meant we did not miss our flight. I was also grateful for the helpful airline staff and the hospitality we were shown during transit.

Once we arrived at our destination, power was intermittent due to damaged power lines from the storm. We had generator power available, but could not run it 24/7. One of the planned activities during the trip was a dental clinic for the kids. We didn't cancel our plans because power was inconsistent,; rather, we did our work with hand tools by head lamp.
Dental Clinic: without power
Incidentally, we also completed the dental clinic a day early and decided to spend our "found time" by taking 100 young people to the beach.
Fun at the Bay of Bengal
So, when traveling internationally, I recommend one important travel essential:be flexible. It's better that way.

Just Sheri, enjoying the adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment