Pages

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Citizenship

This week, my friend Vy, and a few hundred other people, participated in a naturalization ceremony to become U.S. Citizens. A ceremony like this happens every week all over the United States. I attended my first ceremony in Kansas City many years ago to celebrate with my friend Gamil, who is originally from Egypt. 


There are a number of things that are striking to me about these ceremonies:

First, there is not a person who participated who did not struggle or sacrifice for the distinction. A distinction I was given at birth. I didn't earn it. I didn't even ask for it. And, if I am honest, I usually take for granted the rights and privileges that come with the distinction. In fact, I may even engage in unfair criticism of a nation that so many still flock to as a beacon of freedom and prosperity. When I traveled to foreign destinations, on the regular I was reminded of this gift - especially as a woman. 

Second, there is an oath of allegiance that is part of the ceremony. The current oath follows: 

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.

I could write a dissertation on the meaning of the various statements in this oath. What strikes me as note worthy is that I, as a U.S. born citizen, never had to take an oath of allegiance.

Finally, scripture says (Philippians 3:20) that as a follower of Jesus my citizenship is in heaven. Like these new U.S. Citizens, this will require a leaving behind of the old and embarking on an unknown future. It also involves an oath of allegiance, that I am subject to an authority and have a duty to support and defend this rule/kingdom. And, that I will do so willingly. But, in the challenges, God is with me.

just Sheri, grateful for my citizenship status


No comments:

Post a Comment