Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

What would you do for love?

When I was growing up my dad used to correct me when I would casually use the word "hate."  I hate that movie. I hate that school subject. I hate those clothes.

Using this word would spark the same response, "Hate is a strong word. You shouldn't use it unless you mean it." Now I understand the wisdom of his words, but today I would like to apply it to the antithesis of hate...and that is love.

We often say things like "I love that show...I love that color...I love those shoes."

In Southern Africa, it is common for a young man to say to a woman on the street that he finds attractive "I love you."  This happens between complete strangers as an introduction. This has happened to me a couple of times in Mozambique. I wasn't sure if I should be flattered that a young man found an old married woman attractive? Or, if I should be offended that such important words were used in such a cavalier way?

Today, I am making an announcement that reduces me to tears (even as I try to type on a blurry screen).

I quit my job.

Yup, I am leaving work that I love, with people that I love and a worthy cause that I would love to devote my life to. Why would I do such a thing? What is my motivation?

There is a family in America that I love more. Right now they need me. Someone else can be Country Director of Mozambique - there are many somebodies who can do the job.

But, there is a mother in the US who is suffering from crippling pain and has been diagnosed with an incurable disease, treatment isn't working, so the doctors continue to test her for other incurable and some degenerating diseases. There are three children that I have watched grow from when they were much younger, whom I love as much as if they had come from my own body. This family needs me. They have asked for my help and I will gladly give what I have. All I have is me, my presence in their everyday lives during this crisis. There are not a lot of somebodies who can walk in to that home and provide this service. I am uniquely qualified for this job and I accept it with a grateful heart. Why? Because of love.

This role does not come with a paycheck attached. It does not come with a fancy title. To be perfectly clear, we are making another cross-continent move, with no secured income, no home, no automobile, very little furniture, and a whole lot of uncertainty - we are doing this for one reason only. LOVE!

Last night I received word that a bad situation took a turn for the worst. I am going to do everything in my power to get there. Today, I am making the announcement to the team in Mozambique that we are leaving and soon.

None of this is easy. Nothing is assured. But, I have learned through this situation (and really the events of the past 16 months) that love is a strong word and we shouldn't say it unless we mean it.

What would you do for love?

Just Sheri, trying to walk it out

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you and you are doing the right thing. I hope your mom gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom isn't sick. I am not going home for blood related family. This is a family that was formed through the bonds of friendship over many years. Does it change what you are willing to do for love if the person is related?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Sheri. You and the family will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sheri! I am not surprised to read these words on your blog. You have the biggest heart of anyone I know and you are constantly an inspiration to me. Thanks for the email directing me here as I have a hard time keeping up with Blogs, FB, etc. I'll be praying for you & Kenyon in this transitional time and look forward to more updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read your blog…wow, you are an amazing person. Your decision must have taken a tremendous amount of courage. Please let me know if I can help you and Kenyon in any way.
    Desiree

    ReplyDelete