Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

what to do?

In places I've lived in the US I have seen beggars. I often offered to buy them food and was sometimes turned down.

When I used to lead teams overseas I would tell participants that although it seems heartless, it is best not to give money to beggars. Most of the beggars don't get to keep the money you give them, it usually goes to the person who is pimping them. Those scenes in Slum Dog Millionaire are not made up. Children are pimped as beggars. Children and women are disfigured in order to earn more money as beggars. I don't really want to reward those actions, even though I feel compassion for the person in front of me who is begging.

Now I live overseas. Beggars approach daily. We've lived here long enough to know which beggars work which corners. Beggars congregate in tourist areas - the Russian Market and Riverside. There are land mine victims, women with children, and sometimes just children. Sometimes the children look drugged - which I am told is not an uncommon practice. This picture is one mother who approached me near Russian Market. Her child is alert and not lethargic. I bought them a green mango, which was the only food that was available in close vicinity. She took it and left.

Kenyon spends a lot of time at the Riverside area during the day while I am at work because he likes the restaurants there and they have wi-fi. He told me he purchased a mother and child food once. He was so angry because she didn't eat it. She immediately took it to some man standing on the sidelines a little distance away. According to Kenyon the man seemed upset she had food and not money.

I had a similar experience with a little boy inside Russian Market. I bought him fried noodles. He didn't eat them. He handed them over to some man.

I don't know how to deal with this. I don't know what to do. Should I ignore the desperate people begging because they are being pimped by an evil man? Should I give them money because at least it will satisfy their pimp for that day and maybe they will get to eat? Should I give them food in the hopes that from time to time they will actually get to eat it?
What to do? What to do? I don't know. What is the right thing to do?

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sheri, tough call! I don't have an answer. But I think you ask a good question. I hope you and Kenyon are well and enjoying your time abroad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough call! We went to a church in Arizona that made bags of items to give to homeless/beggers. We would keep them in our car and then instead of giving money or doing nothing, you could hand them the bag. It usually had a water bottle, snack, toothbrush etc.... Really you could put any small item that may be helpful. I will pray for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (From Janet Mason) It's funny that you posted that question. Today I was part of a Heart to Heart International and Hot 103 Jamz radio event at Walmart in Independence, MO. We were collecting hygiene items (for our care kits) and raising money for our relief efforts in Haiti. A homeless man approached our box. I have to admit that my senses were heightened. I didn't know what he was going to do. He reached into his pocket, took took out some coins and proudly dropped them into the container. He later explained to me that people help him and he wanted to give back. That donation touched me as much as the donations given by large corporations. I wish that I had given some kind of food or something in return. I later was talking with one of the staff from the radio station. He said, "didn't you see the beer cans in his pockets." It turns around and again makes me reluctant to give money to beggers.

    On another note, I was at the Vatican and gave fruit to the beggers. I think I rather do something like that rather than handing out cash. But that is just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you not feel angry at all the injustice and evil that you see? ..mind blowing..most Americans could not begin to imagine how third-world countries operate and what people have to survive on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sheri....that just breaks my heart. I don't often take the time to read anyone's blog so I'm glad you send emails to remind me to look. When you refer to the movie Slumdog Millionaire and that little boy getting deformed to be put out as a beggar it just brings tears to my eyes. I'm so far away from that I guess I like to think it's not real, yet I KNOW it is. I certainly don't know what the right thing to do is. Makes me wish I was big enough and mean enough and powerful enough to just whip the bad guys and put them all away for life. Yet, I know even those guys have a reason for who they've become and God love's them too. Life itself is just unfair. I guess if I had to make your decision I'd say continue to give food. You're right on the money, it's probably not used for anything good, maybe drugs. If you have the ability to buy food to give, that's what I'd do. My heart is very heavy for this world lately. Thank you to you and Kenyon for your giving spirits and commitment to being God's hands and feet. May God bless and keep you both!

    ReplyDelete