Pages

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

First Friday's

Kansas City is a great place to be in the summer months. There is more to do than any one person can possibly do in a few short months. One of the summer traditions, started a few short years ago, is called First Friday's. Basically people go downtown and walk around. What do they see? Art, lots and lots of local art. I attended my first First Friday last weekend. It was great. We saw great photography and paintings. Interesting sculptures. And, of course, there is always the bizarre at these kind of exhibits. I think my favorite was titled, "Mexican Donut War." I'd try to explain it to you, but it wouldn't be possible, it's one of those things you must see for yourself. There are blocks and blocks of art exhibits, shopping and food samples. The best part of First Friday's...it's absolutely free!

After visiting downtown the group attended one of my annual KC traditions, the Prairie Village art fair. I moved to Prairie Village in 2001. I've attended the event each year with one exception, last year. Even though I am no longer a PV resident, I do like to visit the art fair. The friday night of the art fair opening is a street dance. We had fun dancing to the band. My friend Angela, her two kids (11 and 14 years old), I made Paul, the 14 year old boy dance with me a couple of times. I can get away with it because I'm not his mom. If his mom had tried to get him to dance, he would have acted like he was dying of embarrassment. We ate pizza and drank fresh squeezed lemonade. It was a wonderful summer night out in KC. Mark your calendars for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment