Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

no pockets: a challenge of women's clothing

As a woman I have often wondered why our clothes can be so impractical. Certain shoes and skirts make it difficult (and possibly painful) to get around. One of my pet peeves about women's clothing is the lack of pockets. What is up with that? It can be an incredible inconvenience!

This isn't just a problem in the culture I come from. It seems to be a universal problem. In Mozambique, the women usually wear long skirts called capulanas (cop-oo-lawn-a-sh). Generally, it is just a long piece of brightly colored fabric wrapped around the waste. The women in the rural areas do everything in their capulanas, including farming.

On a recent visit to one of our provinces I noticed the women had come up with a unique solution to the no pockets dilemma - where to keep their cell phone? Wrap it in the capulana. Notice the rectangular bulge around their waist.
In case you are wondering, cell phones are VERY common in rural areas of the developing world. These women solved an age old dilemma (no pockets) in order to carry their modern technology (cell phones).

Women, do you hear me on this no pockets thing? Where do you stash things when you don't want to carry a handbag?

Sheri

3 comments:

  1. Very good question....unfortunately I have no good answer. I always seem to be a slave to my purse! When I don't have it I feel like I've left behind a limb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm researching this and came across your blog. I notice pockets can be sewed onto some outfits. Here's a site- http://theowlsarenotwhattheyseem.tumblr.com/post/117436602/diy-add-pockets-to-skirts-and-dresses

    Or you can pay a seamstress. I recently ordered clothes online and I discovered I was very limited when I looked for tops, tunics and dresses with pockets. So, I'm on the case!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sheri --
    this is what I'm all about. check out my patented PortaPocket line: http://www.portapocket.com ...originally designed this after I dropped my spare tampon on the floor at the gym and got mad. HA!! WAY more than for just feminine hygiene, though. demo: http://bit.ly/dt71V :)
    love if you tell your friends & everyone you know...not easy building a brand by oneself. but OH SO NEEDED...I think you'd agree!

    ReplyDelete