Pages

Saturday, June 10, 2006

St. Louis, MO

Last weekend I spent 24 hours in St. Louis, MO. Though I've lived a few short hours away for years, I'd never been there. Amtrack offers affordable vacation packages from KC to St. Louis; including hotel and some sightseeing like a tram to the top of the arch. If you are ever in St. Louis you must take the tram to the top of the arch, have dinner in the loft area of downtown (excellent restaurants), visit City Museum, and the zoo. City Museum was started by a man to amuse his children. It is located in a high rise building in the downtown area. The materials are recycled parts from buildings, mechanical systems, automobiles, airplanes, etc. My best description is a McDonald's playland on steroids. It is fun for all ages! There was a super fun three story slide - weeee! It also has a must see aquarium. I saw a couple of real sharks, played with turtles, and was amazed by other animals. The St. Louis zoo is said to be #1 in America. I'd agree with that assertion, it was amazing! Best zoo I've ever seen! They have mixed habitats. My favorite site was the giraffe, emu, ostrich exhibit. There was a mischievous ostrich, chasing the baby giraffe and pulling the large giraffe's tail. It was hilarious to watch! St. Louis also has some fascinating US history related to the development of the west. A number of the buildings along the river are simply beautiful. St. Louis is just one more reason I like living in KC - great weekend destinations!

No comments:

Post a Comment