Pages

Wednesday, March 06, 2013

storyteller

In my homeland of New Mexico there is a common image - the Native American storyteller. There are variations on the theme; but it is basically a woman, surrounded by children with her mouth open because she is telling a story. Something like this.

Photo via The Children's Museum of Indianapolis (Wikimedia Commons)

Well, I recently participated in a real life reinactment.


Actually, I really like this picture and I am glad someone captured this moment. Recently, I have been surrounded by families and welcomed in to their lives in very meaningful and intimate ways.

While I may not have children of my own...to run round and round and round the dining table....or duck behind the couch because they just can't resist crawling in the space between it and the wall...or slide on the wood floor in their socks...or be amazed at the small trampoline in the basement...to color with or read to. Other people have kids that will come to my house and make the space a play zone or leave pretty pictures that they colored.

I am honored these families have invited me in to their lives and I like the frenzy of activity and creativity their children bring to our home.

Matthew 19:14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

just Sheri, looking forward to the next storytime

2 comments: