Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

small things become sacred

I was recently thinking about how familiar and insignificant things can become sacred or divine.

Cleaning a house is a chore, but when done with love for another it becomes a divine act.

Buying groceries is a dreaded task (at least in my world), but when purchased for someone in need it becomes a divine act.

Playing board games can be a form of personal entertainment, but when shared with someone who is usually forgotten it becomes a divine act.

Even common space such as a laundromat can become a sacred space when looking for ways to serve others less fortunate than ourselves.

I think too often we believe the sacred or divine is out of our grasp, or too hard to attain. We think it is somewhere else, or for those much better or more holy than us. But, I am coming to see that small things become sacred when done with great love.

just Sheri, attempting to be faithful in the small things

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. It's amazing how perspectives change when we take "me" away from the focal point, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! In an instant our entire view of things can change. We have a dear friend, 38, who just found out he has stage 4 mesothelioma (not sure I spelled that correctly) but it's a fairly uncommon form of lung cancer. He has 3 young children and a wife he just celebrated 16 years with! He has been a Christ follower from his childhood years and raising his family as such. An incredible guy who could in an instant go home to God (he's prepared), however, it would indeed leave an enormous empty hole here. I'm sure in his life all views have changed! It is my daily goal and battle to see things in an eternal perspective rather than the short term. That generally helps with lots of things, including priorities and where we place ourselves in that scope! Lord help me because it's a constant chore =)

    ReplyDelete