Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

birthday celebration(s)

I celebrated a birthday this weekend...well, I actually celebrated ALL weekend even though it was only supposed to be one day (Sunday). Thanks is due to my wonderful family and friends for making this a special birthday.

I returned from a work trip on Friday night. What greets me? Presents! My mom and dad had each sent me something from New Mexico - my mom sent a giant box. It was sitting in the entry way and it was a great surprise...like Christmas in September.

In fact, she spoiled me rotten as she also had flowers delivered to our door - arriving Saturday. I LOVE flowers!

Also on Saturday my student surprised me with a homemade cake. It was pretty enough to decorate a wedding table - and tasty too!

Saturday night was the only planned event. Kenyon had invited a few of my girlfriends to join us for dinner. Phim made the dinner party extra special. When we arrived, there was a large "Happy Birthday" balloon and my second bouquet of flowers for the day - happy flowers.


She also had a gift basket of some of my favorite Asian foods - tropical fruits like mangoes and lychee. She included ingredients for Pho, green curry and panang. I tore in to the lychee before we even ordered food. Mmm....

This is my friend Vanessa. You may recognize her from a previous post. We met when she was a graduate student at KU and I was working there. That feels like an eternity ago. A lot has happened since then! She is from Brazil and has been in the DC area on a short term work contract. This was her last weekend in the DMV. I am soooo glad she came to celebrate with us. I am going to miss her, it was such a treat having her close.

If I am going to get two bouquets of flowers in one day - why not two cakes?

The celebrations continued in to Sunday with a lesson in "indigenous" green curry preparations - then a feast while watching the premiere of my favorite show - Amazing Race. Monday I was still getting presents. The most surprising was from one of Kenyon's co-workers. A woman I have never met gave me a gift I love - a book. I love books, probably even more than I love flowers. I got a lot of love by email from all over the globe. How I miss the precious people I have met along the road.

Last year, we celebrated at a Thai restaurant in Maputo, Mozambique with some of my missionary friends and national colleagues. A lot has changed in a year!

just Sheri, another year older

No comments:

Post a Comment