Pages

Monday, April 04, 2011

bits of my weekend: visitor from Brazil

I think I am really going to like being so close to our nations capital. We are in close proximity to so much beauty - cherry blossoms and the Lincoln Memorial as well as other national monuments.

The other reason this is a good location...lots of folks pass through for work purposes. This weekend was one such example. Vanessa was in town from Brazil for meetings at the World Bank. We got together on Saturday to catch up as it had been a few years since we'd been in the same place at the same time.

I picked her up at a metro stop and we went to a little town on the Potomac river for breakfast. We ate, we talked, we talked, and we talked some more. We talked until the lunch crowd showed up and I started to worry that the restaurant would need the table we were occupying. When I brought this up, Vanessa pointed out to me that this was an American cultural norm. In Brazil, we could occupy a table all day and no one would care. In America, people will start to get upset because they are thinking about their revenue and turning over tables is important to reaching that goal. Since we are in America we decided to walk up the street and occupy a table at the coffee shop that wasn't so busy.

What did you do this weekend?

just Sheri, realizing perks of our new location

No comments:

Post a Comment