Pages

Monday, November 01, 2010

Everyday Heroes: giving a homeless man diginity

Over a year ago I had an idea to share stories of normal people engaging in acts of kindness. I called it "Everyday Heroes."  I wanted to draw attention to kindness because I believe that is what changes the world. I haven't been on the lookout for such kindness lately. But, a story was shared with me last week that reminded me how important this is. So, I am resuming the blog series and here is the second installment. If you experience random acts of kindness in your life, do share. I'd love to highlight them here.

Monday I was leaving work and a tall black homeless man was walking down the street. I recognized him from the Homeless Veterans Stand Down. Last time I seen him he was not homeless. This time he looked very down and out. He admitted that he was kicked out of his home and returned to using drugs (crack) and alcohol. He did not look good, his skin was really dark, his hands were rough and tathered from living out doors. He even said he felt like his hands were monkey hands and he could not look at him self in the mirror. I offered to give him a ride to a NA or AA meeting but he refused because of his appearance and smell. He said "look at me, I look terrible and have'nt bathed in two months." He turned around and the butt of his pants were completely ripped out and stained with mud and grime. I told him he could not be walking around looking like that even if he was homeless. So I convinced him to get in my car and I took him shopping at my favorite thrift store. He was in tears and could not understand why I was helping him. We found two pair of jeans, a new coat and a light jacket for warmer days. All for $20.00 bucks. It was a wonderful experience for both of us. Not just anyone would of picked this man up off the streets and even the store clerk and off-duty officer asked if everything was OK. We both walked in, me in my dress clothes from work and he in his torn up street clothes. He talked about how ashamed he was and I just encouraged him to be proud to be alive and to be given a fresh opportunity. Nothing really matters from the past but you can change today and if tomorrow comes you can do something different then as well. I still could not convince him to go to a meeting but he did tell me he had a treatment bed on Monday. I dropped him off at the local Quick Trip gave him $10.00 to last the weekend for food. With his dumpster diving and $10.00 he should make it. I made him promise not to spend my money on drugs and alcohol. Before he departed I asked him if we could pray together. I grabbed and held his callused hands and we prayed and we cried. He said I was an angel. "No Joseph, I am no angel but I beleive God put us together today for a reason and I am grateful." is all I said. I admitted to him my share of mistakes and he was quite surprised. We had something in common, family and personal battles with alcohol. I left him at Quick Trip on the steps in tears. He blew me a kiss and said he loved me and I just waved and said be safe out here.


I love this story. A simple act of kindness - a $30 and 40-minute investment in the life of another. And not just any other, but one who we encounter daily and usually just walk past trying not to make eye contact.

Will you help me be on the lookout for random acts of kindness? If you experience one. I'd love to know about it.

Just Sheri, inspired by someones willingness to serve another

No comments:

Post a Comment