Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

100 years!

My great grandmother turns 100 years old this month. One hundred years! My family is throwing a party in her honor. It kills me that I can't be there.

I admire this woman. She has spunk. When she was 96 years old, her appendix burst. Just before taking her in to the operating room the doctor was giving the family fair warning, "this is serious and there are young people, much younger than her, that don't survive this." Obviously, she survived.

When she was coming out of anestethia the doctor asked how she was feeling. Her quick response was, "100% better, can I go home now?" Love her!

When she was in her 80's she rearended a car on the way to her step aerobics class. She left the scene of the accident and walked to step aerobics. When asked why she left the scene of the accidents, she said she didn't want to miss her class.

In her younger years I have memories of visits to her house, they always involved fresh, homemade tortillas. I tried to make tortillas twice in my life. I learned it is an acquired skill, and one I have not acquired.

In recent years she has been loosing her eyesight and dimensia has begun to set in. I visit her everytime I go to New Mexico. It is always a memorable experience.

I can't imagine how the world has changed in her 100 years. I can't imagine having that many days on earth. It is incredible to me.

Grandma Rodriguez, I wish I could be there to celebrate your birthday. It is times like this that I am terribly sad to be so far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment