Pages

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Everyday Heroes

I've decided to start a new blog series titled "Everyday Heroes." This will be a tribute to the good people I meet along the journey of life. People who give sacrificially to others. People who go above and beyond. People who give kindness even when they don't know anyone else is watching. I like to notice these things when they are present and now I am going to start to celebrate the things I notice.

My first two heroes were discovered while traveling (of course, because that is what I do 90% of the time).

Hero number one:I was in Dulles airport between flights. My plane was delayed, then delayed again, then delayed again. I was just coming off an international trip and I was tired. I was cranky. The terminal was crowded because I wasn't the only one with travel problems. Environments like that are toxic to the soul. Kids are screaming. Parents are yelling. Complaining is rampant. Added to my fatigue was hunger. So, I decided to go find something to eat. This particular terminal was seriously lacking in options. I could get coffee, a prepackaged sandwich or salad, or go to the little yogurt shop for a smoothie. I love smoothies and thought that might perk me up. The line was long. There was a group of college students coming back from spring break (yes, this happened months ago) and they were an unruly bunch. There was a business man in front of me. When he got to the front he placed his order. The girl behind the counter wasn't any more pleasant than the environment around us. Then he did an unexpected thing. He tipped her $5. Yes, he did. That broke her out of her funk and she smiled, a big, genuine, surprised smile. I had to smile along with her. It changed her whole demeanor. I was the next customer and I can tell you the customer service was stellar. A small kindness changed the environment for that woman who was working in the chaos, and for me. I have not forgotten the power of showing a bit of kindness.

Hero number two:I was seated next to an elderly gentleman on an airplane on my way to an international trip. He is an insurance salesman in a small community near where I live in North Carolina and was taking a mediterranean cruise with his family. He and his wife had a young teenager with them. Logic told me it couldn't possibly be thier son due to the age difference, but stranger things have happened. So, I asked, "is that your son?"

He said, "no. that is our grandson. he lives with us." He proceeded to tell me how his daughter was addicted to drugs and had left their grandson on the street. They took him in and have been raising him for nearly 10 years. That choice required him to delay retirment and the daughter has caused all of them major heartache over the years. He didn't have to do that. Many people do not. Think of the difference this will make to that boy, it's huge. The boy may never know what a difficult choice that was, or the sacrifices that came along with it, but he is safe and loved. I was impressed by the willingness to give sacrifically while motivated by love.

I hope you enjoyed the first installment of "Everyday Heroes." I will continue to share these more reguarly as I encounter people who give of themselves to change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment