Pages

Thursday, September 02, 2010

setting up house in Maputo

While we were visiting the US the wonderful Whitlock family moved back to the States for good. It is sad for us socially, but we did inherit some of their furnishings. Now that the place didn't feel quite so sterile and like we are just passing through I decided I needed to find something to hang on my bare walls. So, our first weekend back in Maputo I went with a girlfriend to the weekend market.
There are many goods to purchase - shirts and shoes, knickknacks and handbags, but I was looking for something particular. I was shopping for an African Batik. What's that?
A batik is a decorated fabric. The market has hundreds of them and lots of sellers willing to give a "special price." It was hard to choose and my special price wasn't so special so my budget could only allow for the purchase of one on this particular shopping trip.
This is the batik I selected. Why? How did I choose it? Well, it was very simple really. First, I like the colors. Second, elephants are the star of one of our fondest memories so far in Africa...remember our safari trip with the momma elephant? So, if I have to look at this everyday I wanted it to be something that made me smile. Also, when we leave here I wanted it connected with a memory of our time in Africa as I assume we will take it with us back to America.

Generally, these batik's are mounted on a wooden frame then hung on the wall like a painting. That's all well and good and can look rather nice. However, I don't have the resources (nor the connections) to get the wooden frame made and our walls are concrete so I don't have the tools to hang it. Thus, I used a very useful tool I learned in college...sticky tack. It isn't the prettiest solution, but I now have one wall in our living room that is no longer bare, though I do feel like I've regressed a good ten years.
When was the last time you hung something on the wall using sticky-tack?
 
Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment