Pages

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

FAQ: deodorant - public health risk?

There is one blog post everyone back home was talking about. What was the hottest topic of all? The topic of body odor and the use (or lack of) deodorant where we live. The original post was about the expense of the product we use everyday.

Talking about this topic so much got me to thinking about why we use deodorant everyday. Do we do it for a public health reason or it purely vanity?

I did a google search on the public health benefits of deodorant. True to it's name it only serves one purpose - to cover or eliminate body odor. There were lots of articles about the toxic effects of using deodorant...just another way Americans unknowingly poison themselves. There are herbal varieties available to reduce the risks. Then I found this article that talks about the health benefits of body odor - that it is our bodies way of telling us whether we are eating things that are good for our bodies or bad for them.

Since I have no plans to give up animal products in the near future (I love cheese too much), I will continue my vanity routine of using deodorant. But, I have found this whole discussion interesting. Just another way living overseas has changed my perspective about things I used to consider "normal."

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment