Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Deodorant. A luxury item?

One of the things we took for granted in our old life (the life in the developed world) is the accessiblilty to inexpensive, and sometimes free, deodorant (or other hygiene products). We have noticed the lack of it. I don't have to tell you how we noticed. Kenyon says sometimes the smell is so bad it makes his head hurt.

The first time I went to the store to buy deodorant in Maputo, I understood why it is rarely used. The cost is ridiculously expensive in comparision to what I am used to paying. I came home and told Kenyon the price. We agreed that at that cost, it would easily be considered a luxury item. If I had to choose between deodorant or food, my choice is clear, it would NOT be the roll-on anti-perpirant!

So, the next time you are at the store buying your roll-on, remember there are some places in this world that only the wealthy can afford such a luxury item. Be thankful for your blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Sheri this has to be one of my favorites! And I thought people smelled back in Europe! LOL. When you come home to visit, stock up on the deoderant! Sorry it's so smelly. Sure made me laugh, though. :)

    ReplyDelete