Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

summer reading: Mandela's Way

Nelson Mandela is revered as a hero to many (especially in this part of the world). I am fascinated by his story. Why? Because he spent 27 years in prison and came out speaking about reconciliation and forgiveness. That is NOT a typical response...which is what I think won him such notoriety. There are varying opinons on his politics, but I still think there is a lot to be learned from Mandela's life. I will share two of the lessons gleaned from the book - from my perspective.

Lesson One: age is just a number.

Mandela became the first democratically elected president of South Africa in 1994, he was 77 years old. Winston Churchil was 66 years old when he became Prime Minister in England, and then unwaivering led the country through World War II.

Most of us have images of sitting in rockers and looking back over our lives at that age, just waiting for the inevitable end to come. Not these men! They were still accomplishing great things, in fact many would consider it their finest hour, at what is traditionally retirement age. So, greatness is possible at any age when tied to a great cause. It reminds me of an earlier post on destiny...when the opportunity arises, we are ready for the challenge.

Mandela..."you will reap something more valuable if you take a longer view."

I am currently 33 years old, going on 34 next month...that means, using these examples, I still have a long road ahead of me and don't need to see or have everything right now. Day-by-day I should remain faithful to the task in front me, while being guided by core values...for the long run. 

Lesson Two: believe the best in others.
"People will feel I see too much good in people," Mandela once told [the author]. "So it's a criticism I have to put up with, and I've tried to adjust because whether it is so or not, it is something I think is profitable. It's a good thing to assume, to act on the basis that others are men of integrity and honor, because you tend to attract integrity and honor if that is how you regard those with whom you work. I believe that."
This is not always easy to do. I live in a world where we are confronted by corruption daily. It is easy to get jaded by this, thus trusting others becomes impossible when assuming everyone is a thief. Mandela's experience wasn't different than my own, yet he chose to assume (and act) as if others are men (and women) of integrity and honor. I expect others to treat me that way and not automatically assume the worst, so I should extend the same dignity to them, believing the best first.

There are many other lessons to be gleaned from this book, but you will have to read the rest for yourself. These were the most relevant to me right now, so that is what I decided to share. It is my blog after all.

Have you read a book about Mandela's life? What did you learn from his story?

Sheri

No comments:

Post a Comment