Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

contributing to corruption

Corruption is rampant where we live. In day to day activities we are faced with the choice of whether or not we will contribute to it.

It seems an easy choice to say, "No. I won't be party to corruption." But what if paying a bribe may mean the chance to get your stuff from home out of customs quicker? What if paying a bribe gets your car registered in a matter of days rather than months? what if paying a bribe is actually helping a government worker who is paid $25-50 per month to support their family?

I wish it weren't so, but we are asked almost daily to pay bribes in one form or another. I know where I stand on this. I will not pay. To me, the ends do not justify the means.

I would rather wait for my stuff to come out of customs. In fact, we did. It took us weeks to get our stuff from home out of customs. Kenyon went everyday with a new form they had asked for, he started keeping a folder of all the forms requested. It was ridiculous. We were told by many, just pay them and you will get your stuff. No. I won't be party to corruption.

If we had been willing to pay bribes, then the car the office recently purchased would have been registered weeks ago and instead we are now waiting for an indefinite period of time. The current prediction is another month. I choose to wait, I will not be party to corruption.

I am not making up that most government workers, including the police, only net $25-50 per month. Though the cost of living is less here than in other parts of the world, it would be impossible for anyone to live on that. These are the working poor and their only other means of supporting their family is to collect bribes. I feel badly for their situation, but I will not be party to corruption.

Making this choice is not as easy as one might think. When living in a place where corruption is the norm, it isn't always easy to be abnormal.

No comments:

Post a Comment