Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

No man is an island

I've read books about great people. Our culture likes to make movies about them. I believe there are many great people who give of themselves faithfully for years whom we may never hear about - we may never hear their tale of extreme generosity or overcoming trials, but that doesn't lessen their impact.

I have been blessed to encounter such people on my life journey. Marty Orr is one of them. When I think of Martha the word that comes to mind is: faithful. I've known her since I was a little girl. In college she secured permission for me to volunteer with her at the School for the Deaf so I could learn about Occupational Therapy, the career path I thought I would pursue when graduating high school. She even met with me early in the morning to help me learn sign language so I could interact with the kids. Martha attended my graduation.

When I was in college and early in my adult life, Martha would send postcards with encouraging words and scriptures. She did this often and she did this for years, even when all she received from my end was silence. The generosity she has shown me, she has given to many others - children in difficult situations, those incarcerated, and so many more.

Martha may never know how much of an encouragement she has been to me in my life, but I thank God for her and the example of faithfulness she has shown me. On my recent visit to New Mexico, Kenyon and I met up with Martha and her husband Jimmy for lunch. It is always a blessing to see their smiling faces. This was a photo taken at the end of that lunch.
I was recently asked if I think there are still faithful individuals like those we hear about in history and through movies. I know there are. Martha is one of them. Premdas is one of them. I have had the privilege of meeting so many others in my travels. You may never hear their story, but my life has been enriched through these encounters. I suspect yours has been too, by others.

No man is an island, entire unto itself...I am so grateful for those who have gone before me and invested in me. I pray I can follow a similar path and have strength to endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment