Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer Reading: Up From Slavery

I love to read. It is my favorite leisure activity. I don't really know how my love for reading started, but I know it is unquenchable. I think it is because it feeds my love of learning. I enjoy reading stories of great men and women who have gone before, how they overcame adversity, how they fought for a mighty cause, or how their work made a difference in the world. These are my favorite stories. I would take a good biography or auto-biography over a fiction story any day.

I was recently looking through my uncles bookshelves to find something to read. Over the years it seems he has lent me or recommended most of his books. Then one caught my eye...Booker T. Washington's Up From Slavery.

Booker T. Washington began his life as a slave in Virginia. I am currently visiting friends in Virginia as part of our home leave. As I drive around this city, so full of history, I wonder what it would be like to live during the times of the transatlantic slave trade. Slavery was officially abolished in this country with the enactment of the Thirteenth Ammendment in our Constitution which was signed in to law December 1865. This book was first published 36 years later.

I view this book as a demonstration of character, will, faith and generosity. There are many quotes in the book I find inspiring. I will share one here:

When speaking of his mentor, General Armstrong, Washington says, "From his example in this respect I learned the lesson that great men cultivate love, and that only little men cherish a spirit of hatred. I learned that assistance given to the weak makes the one who gives it strong; and that oppression of the unfortunate makes one weak." Advocating a life of generosity, I like that.

There is some criticism of Washington in the black community. Why? because he advocated education in trades over higher education, especially for his race.  He set up Tuskegee Institute, of which he was president, to focus primarily on trade education and required every student to do some form of manual labor while a student there. Some consider that limiting. On this matter Washington says, "in my mind, the truth I am constantly trying to impress upon our students at Tuskegee - and on our people throughout the country, as far as I can reach them with my voice - that any man, regardless of colour, will be recognized and rewarded just in proportion as he learns to do something well - learns to do it better than some one else - however humble the thing may be." I can see wisdom in his stance.

This summer, as I look for refreshing and relaxation. As I hope for inspiration before returning back to my life and work overseas. I am reading the stories of great individuals. So far, they have not disappointed me. This is one I would recommend, also for the American history it offers during the time of reconstruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment