Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

over lunch...

The other day over lunch the staff and I were having a conversation about cultures and the impact on worldview and attitudes. It came up that all of the staff think it is odd that my husband helps with household chores. I am told an African man would never be seen cleaning or doing laundry.

A few weeks ago I was in Kenya and a similar conversation occurred where the African men, one of them well in to his 50's, said they had never served themselves food or fetched something from the kitchen - that was women's work. They always had mothers, sisters, wives or daughters to do this for them. I asked what happens if a woman isn't home? Do they starve?

The answer was, "No. We ask the helper."

Remember, most middle class households in the developing world have hired help in their home.

African men think I should feel ashamed if my husband helps with laundry. African women think it is a great example to African men.  I heard that on TV in Mozambique they have started airing commercials about men helping with dishes, cleaning and cooking in the home - like a Public Service Announcement (PSA). I haven't seen it, because I can't understand most of what's on the television as they speak very fast Portuguese.

The lunch conversation was interesting. I am glad we have established enough trust to have such conversations.

What do you think? Should men help with household chores or is that women's work?

1 comment:

  1. Obviously as an American woman I think that men should help out! But, on the other hand, when in another country and culture, one must always try to understand and respect their approach to life. If everyone there is happy with how things are and there is no reason for change, then it's not a problem. But if the women feel the men should be helping, then that is another story.... I love the blog Sheri, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete