Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

wedding season

Turns out, dry season is wedding season. We've been invited to a few weddings since arriving in Cambodia (after the rains stopped). Here is a copy of the first wedding invite we received. We weren't able to attend this wedding, but it was not our last opportunity.Something Westerners will find interesting about Khmer weddings is for the most part they are held in the middle of the street. Here are some photos from a wedding held in our street recently.


The weddings create major roadblocks. When this one was held I couldn't drive home that weekend because there was no way to get the car in (and out) of the driveway. One other thing to note is the loudspeaker begins at 6am. I was told the purpose of the loudspeaker was to scare away evil spirits. What I know is, there is no way an American wedding could block an entire street for a weekend and blare loudspeakers early on a Saturday morning...but we aren't in America anymore.



Just down on the next block is the kitchen for the wedding event.




A couple of weekends ago I attended my first Khmer wedding. It was for a colleague. She married a Japanese man.




Generally, the ladies here don't get so made up. The only time I see them look like this is for a wedding. I've always wondered if all that make-up and hairspray and fancy clothes made them feel pretty for their wedding day. I know Socheata well enough to ask. Her response, "No. I feel like a clown." I appreciate her honesty.



Being held outside, I totally understand why weddings would be scheduled during dry season because during wet season many of these same streets are flooded and no one would want to ruin their best clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment