Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

teaching English

Since arriving in Cambodia I have been searching for ways to get involved in the community - a volunteer opportunity of sorts. Yes, there is need all around, which would lead one to assume there is ample volunteer opportunity. I looked at many opportunities, but it was hard to find one that would match my schedule (long work hours and frequent travel) and would not be hindered by my limitations (very poorly spoken and often forgotten Khmer).

Yes, I work for an organization that is focused on serving the country. Why would I feel the need to give more of myself? Because my job is a desk job. I am not a project manager who gets to be in the field with the people, I manage the project managers which leaves me somewhat disconnected from the people. I spend most of my time sitting at a desk in front of a computer, just as I would if I were working in America. I want to be where the people are, in order to do that I need to find a volunteer opportunity.

My neighbor Jenni told me that she is doing 6 weeks of English lessons with her Khmer teachers. I asked if I could be her teaching assistant one day a week. She agreed.

I joined my first class on Wednesday and loved it!

They started by asking me questions about myself, some (like my age and why I haven't had children yet) would be considered personal in my culture for a first encounter. At the end of the questioning I shared that most Westerners don't talk about that stuff during the introduction stage. They said, this is normal conversation for Khmer people, it is simply part of getting to know one another.

Our agenda for the evening included going over sounds like "th," "v," and "f." Jenni did a lot of prep work for the class and had written some fun sentences to practice these sounds. At one point, when the whole room (with the exception of the two Americans) was struggling with one word, I realized how patient my Khmer teacher is with me. What word was that? Wives. Everytime the students spoke the word it sounded like "wise."

Jenni would say, "no, no. Wives." For a while I don't think the distinction was even noticeable to the students. So, she started overannunciated so they could catch the distinctions.

The students would then say "wise." But this time they would scrape their teeth on their lower lip to try and pronounce the "v."

It went on like this for a while until Jenni decided to move on and let them practice the sentences at home.

The class was scheduled for 1 1/2 hours. It went in the blink of an eye.

I was telling a colleague from England about it the next day. He said he's noticed that many Asian's struggle with the "th" sound. He works in the health sector, but when Asian's say that word it sounds more like "hell." Imagine meeting someone from another organization and introducing yourself as the "Director of Hell." He says he has to hold back a laugh everytime he hears it.

Teaching English is fun. It is also very valuable for those who are learning as it widens their job prospects. If they can learn English and computers, the opportunities available are greatly expanded. It is also a good service opportunity for me. Thank Jenni for letting me be your teaching assistant!

No comments:

Post a Comment