Pages

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Khmer aerobics

Twice a day, everyday the khmae people take to the streets for exercise. In the mornings people are often walking and doing calisthenics before the sun comes up. In the evening there is more exercise often including badminton rackets and wiffle balls.

Hands down my favorite place to exercise is Olympic Stadium. If you are thinking, when did Cambodia host the Olympics? They haven't. But, some decades back they built a stadium just in case. It is currently used to host local sporting events and by the locals for exercise.

There is a phenomena called Khmae aerobics. My mom sent me an email about it. She had found a post on someonelse's blog and said I should check it out. The basic idea is that someone sets up with a speaker and microphone. They start leading an aerobics class and others follow. At Olympic park there are hundreds of people and dozens of classes going on simultaneously. Pick one and join in the fun.

This is a photo of my first visit. Notice the sunrise. I have been back a few times since. For me, the problem is timing. On weekdays, though I am up I am not likely to leave the house at 5:30am. I also am not likely to be out of work by 5:30pm. So, I try to make it on Saturday morning or at least catch the end of a weekday class.

I wonder what would happen if a 'barang' (foreigner) was to show up with a speaker and microphone to lead a class? Would anyone follow? My mom is an aerobics instructor in the States. When she comes to visit I really want her to try this experiment. I'll let you know the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment