Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

iCooked

After my post yesterday, some people wanted to know what kinds of meals I make. Here is our menu for the last few weeks:

Week One
  • Spaghetti with meat sauce, known here as Bolognese, and a modified garlic bread (modified because I had to make due with whatever bread I could find, mince the garlic myself and use a butter substitute)
  • stuffed baked potatoes with cheese, beans and homemade salsa (we have no food processor and cannot seem to find one anywhere so I had to cut the tomatoes, chili, garlic and cilantro by hand. I made enough to last a couple of weeks. Kenyon ate it all in less than a week and asked for more).
  • tacos (the ingredients aren't always available, they come in waves. But, I was able to find taco seasoning and taco shells at the store so I bought them and enjoyed the tacos even though the shells were stale).
  • pizza with garlic, black olives, tomatoes and mozerella, and a modified crust made from Bisquick (the crust was an experiment that worked out alright - 2 cups of Bisquick to half a cup of cold water. Stir and then roll out the dough. Cook about 10 minutes and then add toppings and put back in the oven until the cheese is melted).

The other nights we ate leftovers and went to dinner one night with some friends visiting from the States. Maybe I'll post our dinner menu again next week. I had a terrible time finding things available at the store, stuff that was there last week is gone. When I asked the clerk, the answer was, "there is no more."

S: "When do you expect more to arrive?"

Clerk: "Oh, maybe one to two months."

That is the reality of living overseas in the developing world...and as a result, we just make due with what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment