Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Rogue waves

each year there is one conference I look forward. there is one conference, and one conference only, that I put on my calendar and schedule around. it is the annual Leadership Summit put on by Willow Creek Association. why am I such an avid follower of the Summit? because it challenges me to be better than I am today, it inspires me to dream bigger, it encourages my heart that the impossible is possible. each year they have a variety of faculty speakers from all walks of life, I like the diversity of perspective and expertise that they offer. this year I attended the annual conference from Kansas City and it did not disappoint.

Bill Hybels session on Leading in a New Reality was particularly challenging given events in my life over the past year. He said:
A rogue wave comes in unannounced and spells doom. We may never get back to the old normal. Seasoned leaders know rough patches force creativity and courage. A God appointed leader hears whispers from God in ferocious conditions.
Here's the part that really challenged me:
Whenever your leading in rogue wave situations, the best thing you bring to the table each day is a fresh spirit, grace filled demeanor, optimism and solid ground in God. Colleagues feed on it and believe they can get through.
this isn't just true in work environments, I believe this is true at home too. when the going gets rough, do I truly believe God is in control and do I come to the table with fresh spirit daily, optimism and grace? If so, I believe people in any context will respond to that. what do you think?

1 comment: