Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Reality Check: Quantum of Solace

If you are a faithful reader, you know for entertainment Kenyon and I see a lot of movies. We rent them from the redbox, we check them out of the library, and we watch them online (only the one's for free).

Recently, we tried a new form of viewing movies. I'm still too cheap to pay $6.50 for a matinee or $9.00 regular price to see a movie in the theater. Our town used to have a $2.00 movie. We saw one movie there 310 to Yuma, then the theater closed down. I'd heard the college had a $1 cinema on campus, but we hadn't tried it until now. As our Valentine's date we went to dinner and a movie. We tried the $1 cinema on campus and they were showing Quantum of Solace - the new James Bond film. It was action packed, and I'm glad the women don't have sexual names anymore like Pussy Galore, but I didn't find it that entertaining. It seemed to be missing an element of humor that I found in other Bond movies. Here was the thing that I really found fascinating though...I've watched James Bond movies before and been wowed by his globe hopping, exotic destinations. In this movie he visited Siena, Italy during the annual Palio horse race (I was there and attended that event in 2000); then he went to London (I spent Christmas and New Year's there in 2004); then Port au Prince, Haiti (Kenyon lived there October 2008); then some place in Russia (I visited Moscow in 2008); then La Paz, Bolivia (I was there in October 2008 and will return in March 2009). Between Kenyon and I we had been to every place Bond visited (except that particular city in Russia). Instead of being in awe of the destinations we were sharing stories of our own adventures there. Ahhh, what an unconventional life we lead...and I was reminded by a James Bond movie, how strange is that?!

Has there been a movie you watched recently that reminded you of your own life?

No comments:

Post a Comment