Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Frequent flier...that's me!

In 2008, I visited 21 countries. Seventeen of which I had never been to before. I visited 9 countries in just the first two months of the year! Five countries I visited more than once (Uganda, Cambodia, India, Thailand, Ukraine). In the contiguous United States I visited four cities for work and was in DC at least three times. I did get to see Baltimore and Atlanta for the first time, I liked both cities very much. The full list of stops is below in chronological order:
  • Copan and San Pedro Sula, Honduras
  • Kampala, Uganda
  • Phnom Phen and Kampong Chhnang, Cambodia
  • Bangkok, Thailand
  • Papua, Indonesia
  • Tuni, India
  • Nairobi, Kenya
  • Entebbe, Uganda
  • Monrovia and Foya, Liberia
  • Moscow, Russia
  • Kiev, Ukraine
  • Santa Fe, New Mexico (Gonzales family talent show)
  • Baltimore, Maryland
  • Washington DC
  • Mumbai, India
  • Washington DC
  • Duck, North Carolina (vacation)
  • Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia
  • Maputo, Maxixe, and Inhambane, Mozambique
  • Greensboro, North Carolina
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
  • Phnom Phen, Cambodia
  • Bangkok, Thailand
  • Cozumel, Mexico (vacation)
  • Cayman Islands (vacation)
  • Ochos Rios, Jamaica (vacation)
  • Colombo and Batticaloa, Sri Lanka
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Washington DC
  • Moldova
  • Quito, Ecuador
  • La Paz and Santa Cruz, Bolivia
  • White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia

Coming in December:

  • Emory, Virginia
  • Johannesburg, South Africa
  • Lesotho

I love travel, but this is definitely classified as traveling too much! In case you are wondering, I'm elite status in two of three frequent flier programs due to all the air miles I put in this year. Luckily, there are perks to that - like showers in international airports, lounges with food. These things are a must when traveling as much as I do.

So, I'm thinking of writing a travel book. Most travel books focus on the destination - what to do in certain places once you arrive. My book will be different - what to do in airports during layovers, cancelled or delayed flights, etc. I spend so much time in airports I've learned all the good hangouts in the most frequently traveled ports of call. I know where the showers are, I know the good food joints, I know the best foot massage location.

I ask you, would you buy a book that wasn't about a destination, but about making the journey to your destination more enjoyable?

2 comments:

  1. Sheri, Whew!!! I would read your book. I love airports. Don't tell anyone I said that. I do though I like seeing all the people going place guessing where they are from and where they are going. I think its a great book idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sorry, I don't have your email address for some reason. Email me when you get a moment or are sitting in an airport somewhere.

    Joel Houser

    ReplyDelete