Pages

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Surprise Party

I am in my last two days of work. A part of me is VERY sad to leave, another part of me can't wait for it to be over. I had a meeting scheduled yesterday morning with a few colleagues. We've had it on the calendar for weeks. The day before one of the participants came in to my office for a chat, they saw a stack of stuff on my desk and asked what it's for. I told her, "our meeting tomorrow."

She replied, "you're actually planning to work?"

My response, "they are still paying me to do that, at least until Friday."

It was a wrap-up meeting of ongoing projects, as well as odds and ends before I depart - at least that is what I'd been told. In actuality, it was a surprise party with food, flowers, and friendship. I definitely like the party idea better! I'm going to miss my colleagues. I have enjoyed working with them over the last 2+ years. Of course, I'm not going far. I'll still be around KU and will continue to see many of them. In fact, I'm scheduled to take a course at the Edwards Campus this semester. I guess one could say, I'm not really leaving, rather I'm just changing my role in the organization - from staff to student.

Yesterday I started training my successor. I have three short afternoons to do an info dump of everything I've learned over the years - yeah, right! I'm certain she will do fine and will learn the intricacies of the job quickly, even in my absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment