Pages

Saturday, September 07, 2013

finish well

This is the year of faithfulness, and true to form my faithfulness is being tested.

In June, I quit my job. The reasons are complicated and long contemplated.

Until the end of my last day I worked just as hard as I always had. I did the job to the best of my ability. I put in extra hours (nights and weekends). At times, I questioned my own sanity, but I never questioned the value of the effort. I left at 8:40pm, Friday, August 30 knowing that I had worked hard on behalf of those my former employer serves. I pushed through the weariness. I did all I could to set-up my replacement for success. I fought off excuses like "it doesn't matter, because in a few weeks I won't be there anyway." I made a commitment to finish well and gave my best effort to keep that commitment. Would I have preferred a leisurely summer? Absolutely! Will all that hard work be noticed or appreciated? That wasn't the motivation.

The finish well campaign was about the condition of my heart and the content of my character. Will I do whatever it takes even if no one is watching? Will I do it though a reward for the effort is unlikely?

I did what I believed to be the right thing to do, both in exiting my employer and in giving it my all to the very end.

The end of one chapter also marks the beginning of another - I still don't have a clear picture of the future, but I know my next steps and plan to implement these lessons on faithfulness in my new circumstance.

just Sheri, learning to push through

No comments:

Post a Comment