Pages

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

death of my social life

Last week marked the start of something unexpected - my return to school. Yes, I have been a student the majority of my adult life. Yes, I am committed to life-long learning. However, when I left (without completing) my PhD many years ago I figured that was the end of my academic pursuits.

The Hubs has asked many times in those years, "when are you going to finish your PhD?" I had no intention of doing so. In fact, I described that period of life as self-imposed torture - why would I subject myself to that again?

Why? Because we are place-bound for a while, this reality leaves me restless and my mind has been hungry to learn....Because I suspect that just as my masters degree opened doors, doctorate credentials will do so also...Because, after a series of stops and starts, I found a program that sparks my interest and is located six blocks from my new employer...Because I am ready to dream about the possibilities of a new future, that may or may not involve hopping on airplanes to destinations around the globe.

At the end of August I attended my first class. The reading load seems unattainable and the course requirements will be demanding. As if this were not enough, I am adding a job change accompanied by a daily commute of more than two hours. Someone asked me if I was going to survive. My response, "I am pretty sure I will survive, but my social life is dead."

This has already proven to be true as I spent the bulk of a holiday weekend (Labor Day) in my house reading and writing for school.

Friends, I will be hibernating through the winter - for the next three years (at least).

just Sheri, here we go (again)

No comments:

Post a Comment