Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

culture shock: small talk

Since being back in the States I have realized I am presently inept at making small talk. I simply have nothing to contribute to conversations about movies or TV shows. My popular culture knowledge is limited if not completely handicapped. Why? Because I have been disengaged from the majority of these things for a few years now.

I haven't been able to follow sports teams, I haven't had access to the latest reading materials or blockbuster hits. I am clueless about such matters.

If you want to talk about international politics or foreign affairs - I am your girl. I have realized that in recent years the folks I met and spent time with were like me - foreigners in foreign lands. Our conversations were about surviving our circumstances, the things (and people) we missed back home and international development or relations. These aren't common conversation topics for those who are home.

I find in public settings where I used to be gregarious and engaged, I often sit silently. I have lost the ability to make small talk. Will it return? I don't know.

What are your favorite "small talk" conversation topics lately?

Just Sheri, suddenly appearing shy in public gatherings

1 comment: