Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

discovered: the origins of white skin

I have mentioned before the obvious lack of dairy products in Mozambique. I miss cheese options. I hardly use milk and I never drink it, but I still miss the availability of fresh milk.

This weekend I was with some friends at a beach. One of them told the funniest story about an interaction he had with a kid he works with. The kid had a theory - white people have white skin and they eat cheese and drink milk, Mozambicans have black skin and dairy is not part of their diet. Therefore, white skin must be associated with dairy consumption. Now, take this theory to the real world...

The friend is a white man from America. The kid is Mozambican. The location is a local take-away shop.

Take-away shop keeper asks something about how the friend and kid know each other.

Friend:  this is my son

Shop Keeper:  how is that possible?

Kid:  he's eaten more dairy than I have, I am just trying to catch up.

Ha!

Did you have any interesting theories when you were a kid? I had been told that people lived in the water drain, for a while I believed them.

Sheri

2 comments:

  1. Haha, when I was younger I was convinced that black skin was a sun tan, that if I went to Africa I'd turn black

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was with you in Africa. Black is not the color your skin turns.

    ReplyDelete