Pages

Monday, February 18, 2013

Valentine's Elf: variation on a theme

There is a young woman that I meet with weekly. She is in college. She and her boyfriend are planning their future together. She has lots of dreams in her heart that she'd like to make reality. During one of our meetings we were talking about the importance of kindness. I shared with her what my mentor Premdas shared with me...Acts 1:1. We are charged to follow Jesus example by doing and teaching - in that order.

She had no idea about my annual Valentine's tradition of delivering roses. But she told me she had been thinking about Acts 1:1 and decided to buy 75 roses to deliver to her neighbors on Valentine's Day. On this day, I became her apprentice. V-day morning I showed up at her house. We made a small card for each one and delivered them to homes in her neighborhood. While most people weren't home, we hoped it would bless the residents when they arrived.
Following her lead, I bought some roses and gave them to my neighbors that evening when I got off work. I received a BIG hug in response from my next door neighbor who is a single mom from Ghana.

I love this tradition and have kept it alive for many years, in various forms, depending on where we lived and what was available to me. This year, frankly, I was discouraged and wondering if any of my efforts to make the world a better place have been worth it or if I was just wasting time and energy. I had no intentions of keeping my tradition this year. I just didn't have the heart...that was until I heard Jo's plan. Her plan became my plan. Instead of one there were two of us conspiring to bless others. It was a lot of fun and was the highlight of my week.

Thank you, Johanna, for encouraging my heart and carrying on the Valentine's Elf tradition...without even knowing the tradition existed.

just Sheri, a reinvigorated Valentine's Elf

No comments:

Post a Comment