Pages

Monday, January 07, 2013

Marital Communications 501: Star Wars

One of my joys in life is exposing the Hubs to new experiences. The hotel where we spent our honeymoon had a video library. I picked out "West Side Story" and convinced Kenyon to watch it by telling him it is a movie about street gangs. I failed to mention the gang fights were lyrical, choreographed street dances.

I got him to watch "Sound of Music" by telling him it was a World War II movie (he is a WWII buff). True, that is the context of the movie, but (again) I failed to mention the singing and dancing. I used a similar tactic for "Gone with the Wind." At the end of that experience he said, "I total misjudged that movie!" He actually enjoyed the story after the multi-hour investment of time.

Our latest movie adventure is Star Wars. Yes, the Hubs is 35 years old and NEVER seen Star Wars. It came up because there was a joke referencing Darth Vader that he didn't understand. So, recently we have spent a couple of nights watching classic Star Wars movies.


I can tell you from experience that watching a grown man experience Star Wars for the first time is highly entertaining. He provides a unique perspective...to say the least. (apologies in advance to Star Wars fans)

About R2-D2:
K: What is the purpose of that rolling trash can?

I am not enough of a fan to be able to effectively defend R2-D2, but I can honestly say I did not see the resemblance to a trash can until the Hubs pointed it out.


About Jabba the Hut:
K: Why are they afraid of that fat earthworm?

I can't explain why Jabba the Hut is powerful...nor did I previously see him as an earthworm, but now I see the coloring, shape and motion do resemble a worm.


The Hubs has always provided a unique perspective.

just Sheri, enlightened

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl pointed out that Luke is a whiner. I had not seen that before, for some reason...

    ReplyDelete