Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

What church are you with?


In November, a few friends and I participated in a random act of kindness. We made some welcome home baskets for families who had been displaced by flooding last year and are now returning to their renovated homes. During the delivery of these baskets to homes, one of the families asked: "what church are you with?"

Well, we weren't with any one church. My two friends each attend different church buildings on Sunday, I myself am currently in what I call a "displaced" state (not feeling at home in any one place).

I have contemplated this question quite a bit in the weeks that followed - what church are you with?

Isn't the church made up of people? My friends and I - we ARE the church. 

Why does it matter that we don't have a clearly defined institution to affiliate with? We are Christ's ambassadors; not marketing agents for a particular building/denomination/pastor. The glory (or credit) should be attributed to Christ alone.

I think the next time I am asked this question, I will smile and say, "we are here because God loves you and He asked us to show you that love today."

We, you and me, ARE the church. God isn't interested in a building, or titles, but the condition of our hearts. 

What have you done recently to show Christ's love to another?

just Sheri, ambassador for Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment