Pages

Friday, November 09, 2012

Stop Hatin'

When I was young (starting around 10 years old) I became mesmerized by politics and the political process. I read about it. I watched it. Even before I could vote I participated in the process through political rallies or protests. Today, I find so much of the system detestable.

Virginia, where we currently reside, was deemed a "battleground" state in the recent Presidential election. That means the final count of the vote can go to either party. Apparently, that turns in to month after month after month of political ads...everywhere! If you live in the U.S., I don't have to tell you how negative political ads have become. I can't think of a single ad that was uplifting, heartwarming or inspiring - instead, it was constant criticism of words, speculation about actions, and what can best be defined as fear mongering. I thought the negativity would end after the election.


Backing: The somber crowd roared in support of Romney as he delivered the speechDuring election day, I was so impressed. It was surprising to me how orderly and civil the process was - even though folks disagree and stood in line for hours. No violence erupted  No one died. Then the contender graciously concedes - even before all of the votes have been counted. This is not a guarantee. Peaceful elections are not a given around the globe. This is a gift that should not be taken for granted.

My contentment with the political process didn't last long. Soon the concession speech is being torn apart, along with the speaker. Soon fingers are pointing and tongues wagging about what went wrong, who did what. I think political pundits have mistaken criticism for analysis. I am just so tired of the negativity. I am so tired of the divisiveness. I don't think this hatin' is good for our nation. I long for civility, a dialogue of ideals, and a sense of we are all in this together.

just Sheri, tired of the negativity

No comments:

Post a Comment