Pages

Monday, March 05, 2012

lost in the Caymans...

The end of February I joined a few of my family members on a cruise vacation. One of our ports was the Cayman Islands. This destination is part of the British Commonwealth. Why does that matter? Because they speak English.

One would think getting around in an English speaking country  would be easy, right? One would think...

As soon as we got off the ship we spoke with a taxi company at the pier. Our goal was to spend the day at a beach. Simple enough. The taxi representative told us, for a reduced price a tour bus driver would drop us at the beach site at the beginning of the tour. On the bus we go, but the driver doesn't stop until quite a bit later. The bus unloads in a place called Hell. At this point we speak with the driver and learn our desired location is five miles behind us. We could continue the tour as his unintended captives or make our way be city bus in a strange city to an unfamiliar destination. 

We chose the bus.

Thankfully, the city bus driver took us directly to the beach where we enjoyed lunch and sunshine.

I share this story because these are the things I miss about the overseas life. My heart longs for something you may not expect - I miss mystery meals because the waiter didn't understand my order and brought me what they thought I wanted. I miss getting lost in unfamiliar territory. Mis-communication is such a common occurrence in other lands. When traveling abroad these were a constant source of amusement for me. While others were often frustrated, I was enjoying the adventure (usually with a hearty laugh). In America, there is no mystery when placing my order at a restaurant, the waiter is likely to bring exactly what I requested. In America, I drive myself and have GPS in my car and on my phone. This means I rarely get off the beaten path and I have no chance of ending up in a place other than my desired location. Sure there were moments when living an uncertain reality was exhausting; but, it kept life interesting! 

While living overseas - every chore, every errand, every day was an adventure; often these unexpected experiences created the best memories...sort of like hitching a city bus ride out of Hell in the Cayman Islands.

just Sheri, enjoying the memories/adventure along the journey of life

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting perspective that you take joy in what would frustrate the average person. :-)

    ReplyDelete