Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

The Summit - unstuck

There is one event on my calendar every year.  One event I schedule my life around. I have made sacrifices over the years to make sure I am in attendance.  This year it required some overtime at the office to get the work done as we are in a busy season.  But, that doesn't matter.

I set this time aside each year to learn, listen, and be inspired.

What is this annual retreat?  The Willow Creek Leadership Summit.

Usually, there is one or two speakers that encourage my heart or have me thinking new, deeper thoughts.  That alone is worth the price of admission.  But, this year was phenomenal! Every speaker left me with something significant to ponder.  It was challenging and engaging.  

Over the next few days I will share lessons from some of the speakers who's words have not left my head (and heart) since the event...over a week ago.

The biggest take-away for me personally, is to "press on."  No speaker addressed this topic specifically, but the event sparked a new fire in me.  I have struggled being back in the US.  My heart was elsewhere.  I felt out of place, uncomfortable, and sad. I loved so much about the old life.  I used to tell people that I was one of the lucky ones, because I was living my dream/calling.  

So, what happens when that is stripped away?  I can tell you from experience that it is not a pretty sight. Tears and wallowing.  Discontent and frustration.  None of which is pleasing to God.

I was challenged to "press on."  Though the past few years have been amazing, there is no reason that the future has to be bleak...unless I get stuck in my pity party.

This idea of pressing on comes from Scripture, Philippians 3:13-14 to be exact.  The apostle Paul says:

No, friends, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race...

I have been trying to hold tightly to the past. I can't move forward and keep doing that. I have to let it go and  press on. I have to stay in the race, until the end. I have not achieved the goal. The best is yet to come.

just Sheri, looking forward


No comments:

Post a Comment