Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

beyond "survival"

My work in recent years has been fully engrossed in survival needs - clean water, access to life-preserving medicine, shelter, food for the hungry, and recovery after disaster (natural or man-made).

Because the needs were so great, there wasn't much opportunity to focus on more developmental issues - education, rehabilitation, healthy lifestyles, and accommodating those living with disabilities.

I was recently asked - what do other countries do for those suffering with disabilities? I answered the question honestly. Those born with disabilities in less developed nations don't often live to see their first birthday. There aren't the same kind of legal and social systems set up to protect children, so no one steps in when a child is being starved to death. When they are gone, they are often not spoken of again. It isn't pleasant, but it is the reality of a survivalist circumstance.

I am now doing public health work in the developed world; where there are legal, social and clinical systems in place to help people beyond simply surviving.

I have mentioned in previous posts and tweets that I have been engrossed in site visits lately for work. It has been an interesting learning experience for me. First, I have had to change my mind-set. I am working on moving my "you are here" button.
I am not "there." I am here...it's amazing how difficult this concept has been for me to understand (or perhaps it's a matter of reluctance to accept this reality?). Here isn't just another place - it often feels like another universe. But slowly, slowly I am adjusting.

Second, I have been exposed to some learning opportunities in the public health sector that were not previously afforded me due to the ongoing focus on survival needs. For instance, I am learning about brain injuries and the rehabilitation services that accompany this issue. Due to our advanced medicine, more individuals survive a serious injury, but the result may be remaining brain injuries. There is a group working on this issue through community-based programming services. They are one of approximately 15 in the nation with this focus. But, they want to do more and focus on the neuro-behavioral issues that may accompany a brain injury - meaning acting socially inappropriate. These actions may have serious consequences, such as incarceration. I learned that in our nation 25-87% of inmates have a history of traumatic brain injury. There is an interesting article on this topic available here. Fascinating!

just Sheri, feeding my inner nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment