Pages

Monday, July 05, 2010

Portuguese + Spanish (Espanol) = Portanol

We have started language lessons. We are currently in the basic greeting stage of learning.

Hello. How are you? Where are you from? or what is your nationality? What is your profession? I speak English. I am from America. I am the Deputy Country Director. I am a student of Portuguese. I am well, thank you.

These are the things we can now say and understand in Portuguese. I am finding this Spanish connection more difficult than expected. Spanish words come out when I don't mean them to. My teacher said there are people who end up speaking Portanol - a combination of Portuguese and Spanish (Espanol). I am coming to believe that I will be one of those people.

In New Mexico, most speak a combination of Spanish and English - known as Spanglish.

I wonder if I can put these hybrid languages on a resume? I am not really fluent in anything, just a hodge-podge of a few languages.

What languages do you speak?

No comments:

Post a Comment