Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Rome wasn't built in a day...

Before leaving Cambodia I had one last training session with the staff teams there. At the end of the session is when I announced my departure. There were many tears. For training in the northern province I needed a translator. We hired a young Khmer guy who works with the local church. He is studying business at college and does translation on the side to earn money. English is his second language.

One evening Wayne and I were talking about our struggles with learning the language. My progress did not meet my expectations and neither did his. Wayne said, "I could be in Cambodia 10 years and I will probably still be trying to learn the language."

Without hesitation the translator responded by saying, "Well Wayne, Rome wasn't built in a day."

I was so surprised by his use of this statement. It was perfect timing. Both Wayne and I laughed histerically at his comment. In case you are confused by our amazement, it is unusual for those who speak English as a second language to make those kind of jokes. Usually one must have a deep understanding of a language to be able to be so clever in its use. I can't even carry a conversation in Khmer, much less try to be clever in the use of language!

The next day I complimented the translator on his application and timing of that statement - Rome wasn't built in a day. I also decided that it was something I must teach the English class. At my last full class, I tried to explain how the statement means learning is a process or things take time. I shared with them my story of the translator. They took notes. I wasn't sure it sunk in. Then I got this email from Jenni...

hi sheri,
you will love this! tonight at english class, nimol, told us this story. the other day she was talking with one of the students there who is struggling with learning khmer. and she turned to him and said, "rome wasn't built in a day, you know!" He was so surprised and went on about "who taught you that?? how do you know that??"

Jenni is right. I love it...and I totally understand that guys reaction.

Here is a picture of the English class. We left on a Tuesday, they got together on Monday, so I stopped in to say good-bye.
They said good-bye in a very Asian way..."see you when you see me." I still don't know where they learned that, nor what it means. But, just about everyone says it.

See you when you see me, Cambodia!

No comments:

Post a Comment