Pages

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

make new friends...

Do you remember that childhood song?

Make new friends, but keep the old
One is silver and the other gold

I've thought a lot about that lately. When I was living in Kansas City I had the best friends of my life - the best. I'd go over to their house for dinner often. We went to church together. We worked out together. We shared life together. I didn't have to explain my life history - they knew it as I knew theirs. Many of those friends have moved, many remain. I miss them. I miss having that kind of community. We are still in touch, but it's not the same as when we lived in the same city.
Living in North Carolina, it was difficult to build community. Why? Because I was never there. I would often joke that my job prevented any social life. When I'd meet someone I connected with just setting up a lunch date was a chore.

Potential New Friend: would you like to get together for lunch next week?

S: I can't. I'll be traveling for the next two weeks.

PNF: what about when you get back?

S: yeah, maybe we can do it then. I have four days in town this month, before I leave again.

I did make a few friends in Boone. One actually used to write my travel dates on her calendar. She'd pray for me when I traveled and she'd contact me to get together when I was home. What a gal! We would not have had the friendship we did if it had not been for her efforts.

I am making friends here in Cambodia. There is a group of ladies (they are all single) who I spend a lot of time with. You are probably wondering, "then why does this post have such a melancholy tone?" (maybe not those exact words, but something like that)

I am melancholy, because reality has recently set in. All of these ladies will be gone by June at latest. This life is full of transition. People are transient, temporary. They come for a season and then they go. I started to wonder if I even have energy to keep trying to make new friends. It's exhausting!
Then I saw this umbrella advertisement that reads: It all starts with hello.
I don't know why exactly, but it inspired me. There was a single gal from the UK who I've said hello to at church many times. I recently exchanged numbers with her and we got together for lunch. That first lunch isn't as comfortable as it would be with an old friend, but I have to keep trying. I must keep making new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment