Pages

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Suki soup

There is a certain dining experience I never had until I moved to Cambodia. It's called suki soup. Basically, it is what I call the Asian version of fondue. They put hot coals in front of you, then bring raw meats, vegetables, and noodles. Then you cook your own dinner. I actually enjoy it more than fondue.

These are the people who introduced us to suki soup. The couple, Ray and Christine, lived in our apartment building when we arrived. They have since moved back to Canada to have a baby, buy a house and start a "normal" life for a season. On the far right of the photo is Jenni. She lives in the same apartment building between Lesley and I. She is from the US and part of the ladies group I hang with.

I enjoyed suki soup so much that I took my dad to eat some on his recent visit. When he was leaving Cambodia he said it was one of his favorite things. I knew he'd like it.

On my recent field visits, I went with some of my colleagues to eat suki soup in the province. They introduced seafood to my list of suki soup experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment