Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

just read: Tuesdays with Morrie

It isn't often that a book makes me cry, but this one brought tears to my eyes (it's hard to keep reading with blurry vision). I really enjoyed the writing style of the author - great imagery with words.

This is a story of two men's life journey's - they met when one was a college student and the other a professor. Their relationship was rekindled when one is dying and the other saw him interviewed on television. This is considered their final thesis together.

The book is full of wisdom. It offers what everyone longs for, a mentor to answer the deeper questions in life. There are many good tidbits in the book, but there is one I have discovered to be true and would love to pass along in Morrie's words:

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning."

I read all the time, but I only post the books I recommend. I give this book a recommendation of "two enthusiastic thumbs up." I hope you find it as inspiring as I did. It will be on my bookshelf for years to come and I plan to refer to the underlined portions in my copy whenever I am looking for a little inpiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment